We’ve combined classic comfort food with delicious, ready-to-serve, top quality mackerel. You’ve never had a stuffed potato like this before!
2 cans King Oscar Mackerel Mediterranean Style, drained, oil reserved
4 medium baking potatoes, cleaned and dried
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
4 oz (half brick) of cream cheese, any style, or cottage cheese
1/4 cup sliced olives, any style
1/4 cup sliced scallions
Zest and juice of one lemon
Baby salad greens
1 tbsp prepared horseradish, optional
1 tbsp hot pepper sauce, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the potatoes on a non-stick baking sheet. Pierce each potato a dozen times or so with a fork.
- Drizzle with olive oil and rub until all surfaces are coated, then sprinkle with salt.
- Bake one hour or until internal temperature reaches 200°F.
- Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, mash the mackerel into small pieces and combine the cheese, olives, scallions, lemon zest and juice.
- Add reserved oil from can to loosen mixture as desired.
- Split baked potatoes open while hot, and stuff with mackerel mixture.
- Garnish with scallion slices and baby greens.
- Add optional horseradish or hot pepper sauce, as desired.
- Serve immediately.
Royal hints To prevent the bottom of the potatoes from overcooking, place them directly on upper oven rack with tray beneath to catch drippings. Or bake them on a bed of coarse salt on a baking sheet.