Top smørrebrød with sardines for a remarkably royal upgrade on Sunday brunch.
1/4 Red cabbage
150ml Red wine vinegar
50g Golden caster sugar
Pinch Fennel seeds
1/2 Cinnamon stick
2 Free range eggs
Sardines in oil
15g Dijon mustard
5g English mustard
- Finely slice the red cabbage and bring to the boil with the red wine, sugar, fennel seeds and cinnamon stick.
- Once it comes to the boil stir well, remove from the heat and cover.
- Boil the eggs for 6.5 minutes and cool under cold water then peel and half.
- Mix the mustards and mayonnaise.
- Slice the bread and lightly toast it.
- Spread the mayonnaise on the toast, then the red cabbage, eggs, watercress and sardines.